Just spent the last four hours in labor and deliver.
I wasn't feeling so well last night and chalked it up to bad gas pains.
Gas pains that kept me up all.night.long.
I went to school this morning and when the pain didn't subside I decided to call my doctors office, explain my dilemma, and see what they thought.
Besides the gas pains I was feeling nauseous, my stomach muscles were sore, and I *thought* I could feel contractions, but wasn't really sure, and the discomfort seemed to always be there, so I couldn't really time them either.
After talking to the nurse, she seemed as confused as me and told me to go to L&D to be monitored.
Cue minor internal freak-out.
I am 34 weeks.
They don't stop labor after 34 weeks.
But your baby will still probably need a NICU stay of at least a couple of days.
And then there was the very real fear that they would monitor me for an hour, declare I just had gas, and send me home.
With shame and a giant hospital bill :).
Well, long story short I got there, they hooked me up and then decided to check my cervix, "just in case."
While prepping the nurse said I was probably closed up (which would be a good thing), and that it was possible I just had a UTI, or other ailment that made me feel crampy.
If you've never had a cervical check, you should, they're super fun.
4.
I was dilated to a 4.
"Four to a stretchy 5." to quote the nurse.
Um....you only dilate to a 10 when you have a baby.
I was already half way there.
The doctor said I was dilated, "pretty far" and kept saying things like, "well IF you're still pregnant tomorrow...."
Uh....okay.
Everyone was super upbeat about it, and kept saying that 34 weeks is great, but I'd still like her to cook a little while longer.
So I sat bored in the hospital getting cervical checks about every hour.
I was staying pretty stable, so they sent me home.
And here I sit.
I have another check tomorrow, and I'm sure my doctors appointments will be more frequent, but I'm happy she's staying put for the time being.
Although really, there's no telling how long that will be.
A few weeks, days, or even hours.
Yikes.
Looks like we're off to install a carseat and pack hospital bags.
P.S. Mini confession-One of the many reasons I am happy she (so far) isn't coming today, I haven't showered in like three days and we're not even going to discuss how long it's been since I've shaved.....I better add that to the list to do tonight.
Wow! Crazy! Good luck with everything! Being 34 weeks really is a huge blessing. I am so excited for you! I will keep your little family in my prayers.
ReplyDelete