Friday, March 25, 2011

This was not part of the plan!

Don't you ever just feel like having a face to face conversation with God, looking Him straight in the eye and saying, "This was not part of the plan." I feel like that sometimes. I know, I know, He's all-knowing, loves us dearly, has a far better plan for us, and I mean no disrespect here, I have a wonderful testimony of God's love for us and how "His" direction is not always "our" direction, but man, sometimes I think my plan was pretty darn good too :). I've been thinking a lot about that today, so I'll tell you about my plan.
About a year ago I had the next 5 or so years of my life planned out, Evan did too. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about spontaneous fun, but when it comes to my future I like to know where I'm going and how I'm going to get there. I had all my classes figured out to where they were timed out perfectly. I'd finish them Fall semester (2010) and then apply by February to get into the Dental Hygiene program at UVU, spend the next two years there, and then move wherever we needed to for Evan's Dental School (or whatever he ends up deciding to do). Then we found out we were pregnant with sweet Oliver. It's no secret that he was a HUGE surprise for us, but he was due in Feb 2011, so it worked out perfect! I would have him right after finishing classes, and then he would be 6 months old by the time I started back up again. Perfect! And then in October our world got turned upside down and all the plans changed. My teacher of that semester (although very kind and sorrowful for us) told me she wouldn't be able to work with me and help me with class while I absent due to the hospital, healing, and the funeral. In the end I had to withdraw for the semester, which sadly put hygiene school off a whole year. I just felt so frustrated, not only did we lose our son, but in the process I also lost my chance to apply for the hygiene program I wanted.
Enter my friend Nicole and former co-worker. Around Nov-Dec. I found out (thank you facebook) that she had gotten into a new hygiene school here in Utah! After asking her about it she directed me to Fortis College, and I've never looked back. I said in my last post I got accepted to their program and will start classes April 4th. It was a few months worth of application things to go through for them, but so worth it.
What had me thinking about this whole "not the plan" scenario today was that I went to the Dental Hygiene orientation where we talked with the director and I got to meet the other 16 girls I'll be spending the next two years of my life with. It was awesome.
My plan failed miserably, I mean, it seriously went down in flames, and it's not even that it was a bad plan, or that it would have led me off the straight and narrow, it's just that it wasn't the BEST plan. It's obvious to see that now. I was never meant to have my son in February, to raise him to be a man, and go to UVU's hygiene program. This is how it was ALWAYS meant to be, ever since I probably agreed to it in the pre-existence, and I wouldn't change it for anything.
On a less heavy note, the orientation today was just amazing. I've wanted this career for so long now, and it feels great to that I'm there, or at least almost. There a few key people though along the way who made this happen for me and they deserve a special shout out:
1. Always the #1 in my life, my sweet hubby Evan. He has sacrificed so much over the past two years of our marriage to enable to to take the pre-req's I needed. He is in school and still working full time. Needless to say, he's definitely the one bringing home the bacon.
2. Dr. Joe Jeppson. He was the first (and only) dentist I worked for right out of dental assisting school. After only about a month of assisting him he asked if I would like to be the hygiene assistant, to which I readily agreed. It all reality, it was probably because I sucked at assisting him, but I'm going to choose to believe other wise :).
3. Kate and Hillary. Seriously you two were my inspiration (insert song playing..."you were the wind beneath my wings...") You are the best hygienists I could ever possibly worked with. It was because of both you that I decided I wanted to move forward and no longer just be the assistant. You were so fun to work with and you loved your job, which is exactly what I wanted, the pay's not too bad either though.
4. As already mentioned, without Nicole I wouldn't have even known about Fortis College. I hope to run into you in the halls sometime so that I can thank you in person.
5. My great grandma Fay. I've paid for all of my tuition my whole life, sometimes having to work two jobs just so I could afford to go to school. When I first mentioned I wanted to go back to school for Dental Hygiene I told her it would probably a take few years of saving up to actually make it happen (dang it's pricey!), but out of no where she told me if I wanted to go back to school she would pay for it. She used to be a teacher and values education very highly. Without her there's no way this would be possible.
6. Last, but definitely the opposite of least, Heavenly Father. Thank you for ripping my plan to shreds. I owe you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you posted this whole explanation! For some reason when I initially clicked on the link it just showed the title and I asked Ryan if you were prego (because obviously that would change your Hygiene school a bit!). So-sorry for the "excitement that caused." I am so happy for you to start school and I am absolutely positive that just like you said Heavenly Father definitely has the BEST plan for us-even when it is different than our good plan for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete