Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Good days and bad days.

It seems over the past six weeks since Oliver's birth I have good days and bad days. The good days have been becoming more and more frequent, and the bad days fewer and farther in between, but today is one of the bad days, or maybe just hard days. I don't know what it is that distinguishes a good day from a hard day, but man, the hard days are hard. I spent most of the night thinking about Oliver and my little sister, who's also going through a hard time right now. I miss Oliver a lot, especially when I see other pregnant women or a newborn. I was sitting at Evan's basketball game on Thursday and about burst into tears in front of the entire gym because two women in front of me were talking about how hard pregnancy is, the aches and pains that come with it, and another was talking about how much harder it gets with having a new baby that cries all the time and not being able to get any sleep. I would love to have such complaints. I was able to excuse myself in time and just cry in the hallway.
I know I blog a lot about Oliver lately, but really, I feel like he's such a huge part of my life, and his passing is what I'm dealing with right now. Being able to write and blog about what's going on and how I'm feeling is a huge help for me, even if no one's reading :). I know other people have gone or (heaven forbid) may go through similar experiences, or a trial of any sort, and it helps so much to know you're not the only one. I want to be real with what's happening and what I'm feeling, not pretend every thing's hunky dory, because maybe my experiences can help someone else out. Yes, somedays I'm strong and feel like I can do this, and somedays I just want to sit in my bed wallowing my sorrow and just cry and cry. Today is a wallow and cry day :). I don't actually indulge myself and I'm not laying in bed, or crying, but I want to, so instead of focusing on that, I'm going to make a little list of the things I'm grateful for, after all, it is that time of year :).
  • First and foremost, my AMAZING husband, who always makes my good days great and my hard days better, even when he doesn't know I'm having one :). LOVE YOU!
  • Warm clothes right from the dryer.
  • Planes that enable me to travel all over the world in just a few hours.
  • My health.
  • Modern technology
  • Door locks-turns out my self defense class made me very paranoid
  • Blog comments and followers, it's nice knowing I'm just talking to myself here, haha :)
  • Art and music, few things seem to touch the soul so exactly
  • General Conference, especially this past one
  • My son Oliver, whom one day I will get to raise and see grow into a wonderful man like his father.
  • Dark chocolate truffles, seriously, these are heaven on earth.
  • Getting the mail and finding a card or letter, not just bills.
  • Saturday mornings sleeping in :)
  • The smell of vanilla
  • Brownie batter straight from the bowl
  • Little kids laughter
  • Hair dye and make-up, I have them to thank for ever getting married haha
  • Warm showers
  • The sound of rain
  • Pumpkin pie and eggnog
I think I'd better stop the list there before I get too carried away. There's so much more I'm thankful for, and I'm so excited for this holiday season, to be able to spend time with family, and to have my own eternal family.

6 comments:

  1. Savannah!! Love you and miss you soooo much. I planned on calling you on my way home today but traffic was crazy and it was raining :( I didn't wanna get in an accident. I'll be calling soon!! P.S. I think I might get to visit in April. You'll be first on my list of people to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want you to know that I love reading your blog. It's inspiring and empowering. You are so brave to share all of this with us, and I'm glad you do. Still praying for you. Still wanting to reach across Wyoming to give you a big hug. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once heard someone in RS say our hardest trials often end up being our greatest blessings. I DO NOT want to come across preachy but I can't feel that it is so true. Look at your new insights, your strength, your perspective, your appreciation. They make you all the MORE amazing. I read your blogs and they help my perspective. Thanks. Keep it up. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog also. I know what you mean by the good days and bad days. Sometimes it is just too hard. My due date for when I was suppose to have Collin is coming up pretty soon (Dec. 5) and so it has been harder lately. I really look up to you and your perspective. Thank you. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Savannah, my name is BreeAnn. I know Ali and Ammon through Rylee and Katie McDermott and have actually been talking to your husband about insurance stuff. I don't know if he mentioned to you that I lost my first baby Easton at 24 weeks. I agree with you that I had good days and hard days, and as time went on the hard days became less and the good days became more frequent. I lost Easton 3 years ago, and even though it was three years ago the pain and the memory is still real and will always be real. It's ok to feel sad, and to miss your son! I miss Easton every day and he will forever be a part of my family. I have a blog dedicated to him if you want to check it out. I wrote about our story the first post, so if you want to read my story go to the first link. the blog is http://www.ourangeleaston.blogspot.com/.I also have some poems I wrote about my experience, I would love to share them with you, if you are interested. Evan has my e-mail and you can e-mail me. I know everyone's experience is different, but I feel couples who have gone through similar experiences, share something, that other people don't understand...sorry if this is wierd since you don't know me....

    ReplyDelete