Evan McBride came into my life on October 13, 2008 when we met at Amanda Whitworth's (then Hyer) birthday party. I went because she was my friend and I knew a lot of people from where she is from thanks to a certain ex of mine. Evan was there because his roommate Jake is Amanda's older brother, and Jake wanted to set him up with one of Amanda's roommates :). Complicated I know. Evan and I both happened to be sitting at the table, I was talking to Mara, he was talking to Scott. I thought he was pretty dang cute, and he kept trying to talk to me, but I was in the middle of a conversation so I just gave him short answers and kept talking to Mara :). Throughout the party he'd keep finding me and talking to me, then we'd move on and talk to other people too. Well the party was dying down so I left to walk home, and about half way down the block I hear Evan and Scott behind me, so they caught up and walked with me. Time came to part ways and he STILL hadn't even asked for my number, I mean, he acted like he was interested.....but no, didn't even ask. The next day came and he added me as a friend on facebook, FACEBOOK! Not even as good as asking for my number. The ensuing three works were frustrating torture as he just kept facebook chatting with me and still hadn't asked me out. Later when I asked him about this, he explains that he was busy with going home on weekends and stuff, good enough excuse I suppose :), haha. Finally I was tired of just chatting with him so I decided I wasn't going to anymore, his loss. Then my little chat box popped up with Evan. I decided it was rude just to ignore him, so I'd make it short and explain that I had to go. We talked for minute then he asked what I was doing this weekend. In my head I was thinking, "There is NO way I'm going out with this boy if he asks me over facebook." Lucky for him he said he'd call me later that week to set up a date. And he did :). We went to dinner at Goodwood, then went and played pool, and I had a GREAT time! And that's how it all started.
It wasn't all downhill from there though, more like uphill! Or maybe it was a roller coaster :). We'll just say Evan definitely did his fair share (and more!) of chasing, while I did my fair share of being very confused, and frustrating I'm sure! Lucky for me, he is a VERY patient wonderful man, and stuck it through me till I finally decided to wake up and realize what I had in front of me!
He purposed 2 weeks ago on April 15, 2009 (and thanks to tax day I'll always be able to remember that anniversary :) ). He text me during a review he had for finals week and asked if I wanted to go get some food after. I had already eaten dinner :) and was tempted to just say I'd already eaten but I'd go with him if he wanted, instead I just said, "Sure, sounds great!" Divine intervention :). So he picked me up and asked where I wanted to go. I said I didn't really care (I wasn't hungry) and started naming a few places off, around the University Mall, because that's the direction he was driving, Goodwood being one of those places. He drove around and then, pointing to Goodwood, said, "This looks fine, how about here?" So I agreed. Then we walked in and the hostess said, "Oh, are you Evan?" Then sat us at a booth. Hmmmmm....I thought it was quite strange he acted like he didn't know where we were going when in fact he had made a reservation....I thought for sure the ring must be coming, and this was where our first date was. So I asked him if we had any plans after dinner, and he just said no, nothing definite, we could watch a movie if I wanted to though. So that threw me way off, and I thought maybe the ring wasn't coming after all. We ate dinner and had a great time, the manager even gave us two free "promotional" desserts to try out, and I sure did think it was nice of them :), I still had no idea. So we were done eating and just talking, waiting for our check. I started teasing Evan about being my boyfriend, but how if he wanted he could change his title....haha, just as long as he didn't put an "ex" in front of it :). We were just teasing and then he said, "I don't know, I mean these past 5 months have been pretty great, but are you sure you want to spend FOREVER with me?" I just laughed and said, "Well if you want to find out, I guess you'll just have to ask." Then he grabbed my hand from across the table and said (while getting choked up and teary eyed :)), "Well these past 5 months have been the best months of my life, and I love you and I do know that I want to spend forever with you, and I want you to be my wife. Will you marry me?" AHHHHH!!! Oh my gosh Savannah, speak! Say something!! I was dying, just thinking, is this for real?? Then of I course said "YES!" like a thousand times. He put the ring on my finger, and I can honestly say I have never felt happier :). I was just stunned, I started getting super hot, lol, and just couldn't believe it!!! The ring was pretty of course, but Evan was even better. And of course the restaurant knew what was happening the whole time too :).
A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes
I'm so glad you posted that story! I love it. He sounds awesome and I'm really happy for you! Way to find the right one!
ReplyDeleteSavy! I had already heard the story but not in detail. I was tearing up and almost started crying!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you updated your blog. Oh my goodness! I love that story! I didn't know how he proposed. I had chills reading it! I'm so happy for you Sav!
ReplyDelete